The Eric Zitzewitz Award is given annually. Criteria vary, but may include any of the following:
- Showing an overall high level of enthusiasm during the conference.
- Maximizing the ratio of difficulty of chosen skiing terrain to skiing ability.
- Effectively shaming — using deeds not words — skiing companions who select wimpier terrain than they should conditional on ability.
- Engaging in daring exploits.*
- Simply showing up… year… after year… after year (see 2013).
The Eric Zitzewitz Award is to be considered a badge of honor and a point of pride. (And bonus points if you put it on your c.v.)
Past winners are:
- Steve Cicala (2016)
- Andrea Prat (2015)
- Jon Kolstad (2014)
- Chad Syverson (2013)
- Neale Mahoney (2012)
- David Rahman (2011)
- Ralph Winter (2010)
- Muriel Niederle (2009)
- Wes Hartmann (2008)
- Jon Guryan (2007)
- Eric Zitzewitz (2006)
*The Official Policy of the Utah WBEC is that daring exploits are not encouraged. We are all too old for that sort of thing. Despite this, we do recognize daring exploits when engaged in unintentionally, as is sometimes the case (see 2010).